Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Is Kate Middleton just another twenty-something trying to figure things out?

When I was in my twenties, I spent the large part of it being confused with who I was and what I was supposed to be doing with my life. Today at 35, I still can't say that I've come to any conclusion. And while I made mistakes, I didn't have to do them in the public eye like Kate Middleton.

It has been recently reported that Kate Middleton is leaving her career as an accessory buyer for the company Jigsaw and is seriously considering a career in photography, mainly because she is bored with her job. Now that her romance with William is back on, she's seriously looking at her career and working at Jigsaw was only a 'stop-gap' for her. She's ready for a new challenge.

So, what's so unusual about all of this? I have to ask, why on earth is this making news?

Some of us are lucky in that we figure it out early, others have to try different things on for size until they find something that fits them. Maybe she'll stay in photography, maybe she won't. Kate may have a royal boyfriend, but that doesn't mean it's any easier for her. Especially when the media is ready to pounce on any minute part of her life for our consumption.

We seem to forget that Kate's only 25. We seem to be projecting our happily ever fantasies onto her young shoulders. But what if that's not part of then plan for her? Whether she goes from student to accessories buyer, to photographer, to royal bride, what's next for Kate?

Let her figure it out for herself.

© Marilyn Braun 2007

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Like royal books? Visit Marilyn's Royal Bookstore!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I really think she has a lot on her mind right now. She's making huge changes in her life and next month she is due to see The Queen & Prince Philip at Balmoral, manily to take the relationship to another level. Kate seem to be really getting it together. As a friend of hers just said, her life is becoming exciting. The future is getting brighter by the day.

Marilyn Braun said...

When you're in your twenties it seems as though life is an adventure (geez, don't I sound pessimistic!). I think Kate should be given time to grow and try different things and not have it held up to such scrutiny. If William and Kate do get married, I hope that she's thought long and hard about what it will mean. As we've seen, it's not all 'Happily ever after'.

Anonymous said...

I agree -- things can't be easy for Kate.

Her desire to switch to photography made me of Jackie Kennedy for some reason. Didn't she meet JFK while working as a photographer? (Not parallel situations, I know -- but a connection nonetheless.)

Marilyn Braun said...

Interesting that you mention that. Yes Jackie Kennedy did meet JFK while photographing him for a newspaper.