Thursday, September 13, 2007

Why I buy royal books I can't finish and my excuses for doing so

It must be a form of insanity. Buying books I can't finish. I can't remember the last time I actually read a book (that wasn't a childrens book) from cover to cover. Maybe having two small children will do that. Reading used to be a pleasure, now it's a luxury. I have piles of books on a variety of subjects - podcasting, writing, baking, child care, and royal books. Now normally I have no problem with reading royal books, but over time I've noticed that it's taken me much longer to get through some of them. Here are a few on my list:

Diana - by Sarah Bradford

I have been trying to read this book for at least 3 months. I'm not sure whether the library misses it or not, but I keep renewing it and renewing it in the hopes that I will be able to read it. It never happens. I'm beginning to think I should buy my own copy; just so that it can continue to sit amongst my pile of books without anyone missing it. Right now it's due back on the 27th, so hopefully I'll be able to read it before then. But probably not. One of the reasons that I would like to read this book, is mainly to be able to compare it to the next book on my list.



The Diana Chronicles - by Tina Brown

Unlike most Diana biographies, which I usually borrow from the library or wait until they come out on paperback, I bought this book, in hardcover, within a week of its release. There's been a lot of hype with this book and I would love to review it but I just can't seem to get around to doing it. By the time I actually do read it, it will no longer be noteworthy enough to discuss.



Five Gold Rings - A Royal Wedding Souvenir Album by Jane Roberts. The Royal Collection

I truly looked forward to receiving this book. I love royal weddings and this book, heavy on pictures than on text, is right up my alley. I do believe that pictures can tell their own stories, so one would think it would be easy to read this book. No such luck. Hopefully I will have read this book before their 65th or 70th wedding anniversary. Fingers crossed!



Diana Style by Colin McDowell

A recent acquisition, also heavy on pictures than on text. It must have too many words, otherwise why would it take so long to read it? I enjoy reading about Diana's fashion, or should I say, looking at pictures of her fashions. But that doesn't make for a very interesting review, now does it? In my defence, I only received this book on Monday.


Coronation by Roy Strong

Beyond royal weddings, I can't say that I have much interest in other types of royal ceremonies. This book however piqued my interest. Covering the Coronation ceremony from the 8th to the 21st Century, it is not a book you read in a week. So that's my excuse for this one!




If you've read any of these books and would like to tell me about them, feel free to have your say. If you don't have any of these books but would like to read them for me, you can order them by clicking on the book image.
© Marilyn Braun 2007

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Like royal books? Visit Marilyn's Royal Bookstore!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Marilyn,

I have to say that these new books seem to say the same things over and over again. Many of the facts that is in these books, have been talked about by royal experts and historians many times before. I would like to get the Five Gold Rings and Coronation but all the others don't interest me. Now if someone write about William & Kate, I probably would buy it but the facts have to be straight in order for it to interest me. I only buy these royal books because they inspire me so much. As a actor who hope to oneday be a Hollywood actor, I want to bring some of that royal feeling to the Hollywood world. That is what I get from these books, inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I read the Tina Brown book, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. She was even handed and showed no favoritism to anybody. I think it's probably the most honest book about the Diana years we will probably ever see.

Anonymous said...

One of the best book that I just bought is Eating Royally by Darren McGrady who was The Princess of Wales's chef. He tells the stories about what the Royal family liked to eat and it's a warm inviting book.

Marilyn Braun said...

I would actually like to read Darren's book, it sounds like it would be really interesting. And I think he's donating quite a bit of the proceeds to charity - a nice touch.

Yes, I tend to agree that these books really don't say anything new, or they recycle the same stories over and over. From what I've read of the Tina Brown book, some of the passages seem extremely similar to Sarah Bradford's book. I'm still not sure what Tina Brown was trying to accomplish with writing it because it seems as though she vacillates a lot in her view of Diana.

Claudius, good luck with your acting! That's wonderful!