Thursday, July 23, 2015

29 years ago today...A look back at Andrew and Sarah's wedding

There was such hope. A young couple so clearly in love.

I was 14 at the time of their engagement and I remember being very disappointed when I heard about it. I wondered, why hadn't he waited for me? What prince would I marry now?

This was the first royal wedding I had paid attention to. Charles and Diana's wedding was not on my radar in 1981 and I had a vague recollection of wondering what all of the fuss was about. Fast forward 5 years and I found myself staying up all night so that I could watch the wedding procession and ceremony. I even video-taped it so I could watch it again later.

Sarah was lovely. I was envious of her curly red hair but not the floral headdress she wore when she entered Westminster Abbey. I preferred the tiara she wore when she left. Little realizing the symbolism of the change. As Sarah herself stated:  'I had stepped up as the country girl; I would walk back as a princess.'




Her happiness was evident as she walked up the aisle, smiling and joking with her father. The creamy beauty of her wedding dress in its glory, holding her unusual 'S' shaped bouquet. There were charming moments during the ceremony, like Sarah mixing up the order of Andrew's names. And not so charming moments watching 4 year old Prince William, who served as a page boy, misbehaving with his cousin Laura Fellowes.

I watched as the royal couple and their attendants returned to Buckingham Palace. Leaving his carriage, Prince William affectionately greeted Prince Andrew. Here was a side of the royal family not normally shown to the world. Later on, as the couple departed for their honeymoon, Prince William ran towards the carriage and the Queen sprinted to stop him.  How many times have we seen the Queen run like that?

Here was a royal marriage that would last. Or so all of us thought at the time. After their divorce they have continued to live together and they seem comfortable and relaxed in each other's company. A part of me still hopes that they will get together again. Time will tell.



© Marilyn Braun 2015


Thank you for enjoying this article. If you use the information for research purposes, a link to credit the work I've put into writing it would be appreciated.

2 comments:

Cheryl Ciucevich said...

I was 16 at the time and felt exactly the same way!! When someone measured her wax figure at Madame Tussaud's, I realized that I had the same measurements even. Why did he choose her over me? Why oh why? LOL This was the first royal wedding I paid attention to, too, but I went all out. My sister and I bought hats and made "tea" for breakfast. I thought her dress was a billion times more beautiful than Diana's and Sarah herself was gorgeous. (I can't believe you didn't mention the giant Teddy bear and "phone home" sign on the wedding carriage!)

Marilyn Braun said...

Lol, I do remember the teddy bear and phone home sign but what stuck out more for about the carriage ride was Sarah taking some confetti and throwing it into the air, then having a 'whoops' expression right after doing it! The Queen sprinting after Prince William still stands out more for me because it was so surprising to see.

I agree, on her wedding day she was much more beautiful than Diana. That glorious red hair and lovely dress. Absolutely stunning. It truly is a shame their marriage did not work out.